Christchurch to Queenstown (Via Mt Cook & Tekapo) - Small-Group Tour
From NZD $370.00
- Duration: 13 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Christchurch
- Product code: 0042CK
Christchurch To Queenstown via Mt Cook & Lake Tekapo. This small group, fully-guided day trip combines all of the key highlights in the area with the famous Lake Tekapo, Mt Cook National Park and Tasman Glacier. The ultimate way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown. Led by our famously passionate tour guides, notorious for bringing your journey to life by sharing their stories and rich background knowledge and run in modern, comfortable minibuses packed with extras ensuring your comfort and safety.
- Lake Tekapo, Church of the Good Shepard
- Mt Cook & Aoraki National Park
- Tasman Glacier, Lake Pukaki
- Lindis Pass, Kawarau Gorge
- Christchurch - Your tour starts in the stunning city of Christchurch. As we drive out of the city your guide will not only set the scene for your adventurous day but also point out and guide you past some of the area’s top highlights.
- Geraldine – Departing Christchurch we then make our way through the impressive Canterbury plains with plenty of amazing New Zealand farmland and countryside to see along our way to Geraldine. Arriving in this quaint town we will stop for a quick morning tea.
- Lake Tekapo – Exiting Geraldine we head towards the famous blue lakes of Lake Tekapo but to get there first we must go through some impressive alpine passes with amazing views. As we come over the hill to Tekapo you will be stunned by amazing view of the lake.
- Church of the Good Shepherd – Once in the township of Tekapo you will have time to explore the very popular Church of the Good Shepherd, see the Mackenzie Sheep dog and get those Instagram worth shots of Lake Tekapo before we continue to Mt Cook.
- Lake Pukaki – Turning west we begin to enter the Aoraki National Park and Lake Pukaki begins to emerge in front of us. Lake Pukaki is one of the bluest lakes you will ever see and is stunningly framed by the backdrop of Aoraki/Mt Cook and the Southern Alps. We stop for some amazing photos and to just marvel at the sight that we are beholding. It’s not hard to see why many Lord of the Rings scene were filmed nearby and we will point them out for you.
- Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park – While in the national park you have 2.5 hours free time to enjoy free walks/hikes or one of the extra optional activities. Some of our recommendations include: Tasman Glacier Walk, Scenic flights (see the region from the air and land on the Tasman Glacier) or Mt Cook Visitor Centre & Hermitage Hotel. Whatever you decide to do we will pick you up and drop you off where you need to go and make sure you are well looked after.
- Tasman Glacier – One of our recommendations during you free time is the Tasman Glacier Lake walk and viewpoint. Icebergs can usually be seen floating in the lake in summer, and in winter, the lake freezes over. The track leads through the glacier’s old terminal moraines with amazing views of the glacier, river and lake.
- Mt Cook Information Centre – Arriving at Mt Cook Village, weather depending, we should get some amazing shots of the mountain itself. At 3724m, Aoraki/Mt Cook is New Zealand’s highest peak, however, the mountain can be viewed without any acclimatisation whatsoever from the village which is just 750m above sea level.
- High Country Salmon - Farewelling Aoraki/Mt Cook Village and making our way back to Queenstown we stop in at High Country Salmon, a local salmon farm, where you can feed the fish and taste some of the freshest salmon in New Zealand.
- Lindis Pass – Climbing in altitude, Lindis Pass has amazing views down through the valleys. Being one of only three alpine roads through the otherwise impassable Southern Alps.
- Mrs Jones Fruit Stall – During summer months when the sun is still up as we get close to Queenstown we often stop at Mrs Jones Suncrest Orchard to try or buy her delicious local fruit or real fruit ice cream.
- Kawarau Suspension Bridge – Nearing Queenstown we then make our way through the stunning Kawarau Gorge passing stunning views, the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and the famous Roaring Meg Lookout.
- Queenstown – Sadly the tour must come to an end as we enter Queenstown and say our goodbyes.
- Small Group
- Fully Guided Tour
- Bottled Water & Snacks
- Scenic flights with Glacier landings
- Ski Dive Mt Cook
- Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre