Hobbiton & Waitomo Caves Small Group Tour from Auckland
- Duration: 12 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: 006CK
Hobbiton & Waitomo Tour, this small group, fully-guided day trip combines two of the best attractions in the North Island together in a less rushed way than other tours to form the ultimate day trip from Auckland. Led by our famously passionate tour guides, notorious for bringing your journey to life by sharing their stories and rich background knowledge, and run in modern, comfortable minibuses packed with extras ensuring your comfort and safety.
- Hobbiton & Alexander Family Sheep Farm
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Secret Animal Viewing Stops
- Waikato Farming Region
1. Auckland - Your tour starts in New Zealand’s largest city. As we drive out of the city your guide will not only set the scene for your adventure today but also point out and guide you past some of the city’s top highlights.
2. Waikato – Exiting Auckland we travel south through the stunning Waikato countryside, the most extensive farming area in the world, encountering beautiful scenery, mighty rivers, great photo opportunities, impressive mountains and several farm animals along the way.
3. Hobbiton Movie Set – Arriving at the first feature attraction ‘Hobbiton’ you will board one of the big green Hobbiton buses and depart on a two hour fully guided tour of this amazing 12 acre movie set with a professional Hobbiton guide to ensure you get the most out of your visit. During your tour step into the lush pastures of the Shire, visit 44 hobbit holes, see amazing gardens, hear the secrets and stories about the making of the movies and enjoy a cold complimentary beverage at the famous Hobbiton pub ‘The Green Dragon Inn’.
4. Karapiro - Departing Hobbiton and heading towards Waitomo we stop at the stunning Lake Karapiro. Home to one of New Zealand’s first hydro dams and where some of New Zealand’s great rowers train. With amazing views across the lake and countryside, it’s a great place for a quick break and some photos.
5. Otorohanga – Continuing we will pass many more scenic beauties, see racehorse breeding areas and rivers before entering Otorohanga “The Kiwiana capital of New Zealand”. See all things Kiwi as you pass through this unique and charming town.
6. Big Bird – Getting close to our second feature destination, we stop outside the Big Bird & Miniature Animal Petting Farm to see and meet some of our local animals. These guys know our guides well and even though we do not have time to go inside the park, the friendly animals will often come to the fences for a photo or two, thrilling guests.
7. Waitomo Caves – Arriving at our second feature attraction you will be guided through the ancient and amazing caves seeing many different cave formations, including Stalactites, Stalagmites and Lime Columns, before descending even further underground for your Glowworm experience. Board your boat for a cruise on the grotto river with thousands of Glowworms sparkling above you. Unique to New Zealand for over 120 years, Waitomo Glowworm Caves are a must see for any traveller.
8. Auckland – Sadly after Waitomo we must start to head north again but your day is not over with a fully guided return trip to Auckland including secret stops along the way.
- Small Group Tour
- Fully Guided
- Entry Tickets
- Bottled Water
- One-way option from Auckland to Waitomo
While the destinations you will be visiting are truly spectacular, we at Cheeky Kiwi Travel believe it is our small groups, our guides, the journey and the little details that set our tours well apart. Secret stops, wildlife viewings, specially designed vehicles, complementary refreshments and many other pleasant surprises ensure our tours are an experience to remember.